Since India is an agricultural country, around 15.4% of its total GDP comes from the agricultural sector. Agricultural Studies would help the youth to get more specialized knowledge in this field which will contribute to the growth of our economy.
As the agricultural sector in India is developing, there is a growing need for professionals in this field. Agriculture itself is a vast topic that offers a wide range of courses.
Agriculture before was just limited to sowing and harvesting of the crop but now this field has evolved and it provides numerous courses.
The areas directly related to agriculture and its products are also included in these courses.
Proficiency in agriculture would lead to more researches and developments in these fields which would help to fulfill the increasing needs of a growing population.
In India, the Indian Council of Agricultural Research is the main managing and guiding body of all researches and studies in the agricultural sector.
Agricultural studies have various sub-parts like horticulture, fishery, dairy, poultry farming, etc.
An Agriculturist is a person who has pursued specialized knowledge in any of the different fields of agriculture and is concerned about obtaining crops and livestock.
Agriculturists are also called scientists since agriculture is also a part of science.
As they have the proper education in this field, they help and support the farmers on crop protection, soil management, crop and livestock care, breeding, soiling, and harvesting techniques.
AREAS OF INDIAN AGRICULTURAL STUDIES
- Livestock Production
- Crop Production
- Agricultural Economics
- Agricultural Engineering
TOP CAREERS IN INDIA IN AGRICULTURE
- Diploma in Agriculture – It is a two-year course and any student can apply for it after passing 10th
- Certificate course in Agriculture Science – It is a one year course and any student can join after clearing 10th
- Sc. (Hons.) in Agriculture – It is a three-year graduate degree program and any student who has cleared 10+2 exams in the science stream is eligible for this.
- Sc. in Agriculture – It is a four-year graduate degree course and any student who has cleared 10+2 exam with a minimum of 55% in science stream is eligible for this. It includes Agricultural Economics, Agricultural Sciences, Agricultural Entomology, Agricultural Engineering, Agricultural Microbiology, Agricultural Agronomy, and Agricultural Statistics.
- BBA in Agriculture – It is a four year graduate degree program and any student after passing the 10+2 exam is eligible for pursuing this.
- MBA in International Agribusiness – It is a two-year graduate degree course and to pursue this, one must be graduated in any of the agricultural disciplines.
- MTech in Dairy Technology – It is a two-year post-graduate degree course and to be eligible for this, one must have completed graduation in any of the agricultural disciplines.
- Sc. in Agriculture – It is a two-year post-graduate degree program and to make a career in this, one must be graduated in Agricultural Biotechnology, Forestry, Horticulture or Agricultural Business.
- Phil. in Agriculture – It is a two-year pre-doctorate degree course and to pursue this, one must have completed a master’s degree in Horticulture.
- Ph.D. in Agriculture – It is a three-year doctorate level program and to appear for this, one must be post-graduated in any of the agricultural disciplines.
6 BEST COLLEGES IN INDIA FOR AGRICULTURAL STUDIES
National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI)
NDRI was established in the year 1923 in Karnal, Haryana. Its campus is spread over an area of 1,384 Acres including various labs, complexes, hostels, etc.
According to ICAR, it is ranked as the number one institute in India preferred for agricultural studies.
Doctoral Program, Master’s Program, diploma in Animal Husbandry and Dairying, diploma and Dairy Technology, and BTech in Dairy Technology are the courses offered by this institute.
Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI)
IARI popularly known as the Pusa institute was established on 1 April 1905 in Pusa, Delhi.
It was formerly called as Imperial Institute of Agricultural Research. Its campus is spread over in around 1,250 Acres and according to ICAI, it stands on the second position as the best college in India for agricultural studies.
In this institute, students can pursue PG and Ph.D. courses in Agriculture, Water Science, Soil Science, Plant Pathology, Computer Application, Food Science, Floriculture, Fruit Science, Horticulture, Environmental Science, Microbiology, Bioinformatics, and Biochemistry.
GB Pant University of Agriculture and Technology
This university was established in the year 1960 and was named after the great freedom fighter Govind Ballabh Pant. It is located in Pantnagar, Uttarakhand. The campus is spread over an area of 15,000 Acres.
It is regarded as the harbinger of the green revolution. This institute offers UG and PG courses in Faculty of Agribusiness Management, Faculty of Basic Sciences, Faculty of Home Science, Faculty of Fishery Science, and Faculty of Agriculture.
Chaudhary Charan Singh, Haryana Agriculture University
This university was established in the year 1970 in Hisar, Haryana.
Its campus is spread in 298 hectares of land including 6 colleges having proper and developed lecture rooms, auditoriums, computer facilities, audiovisual laboratories, etc.
it offers UG, PG and Ph.D. courses in Home Science, Agriculture Basic Sciences and Food Science.
Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI)
This university was established in the year 1889 in Izatnagar, Bareilly. It is mainly dedicated to livestock research and development.
It offers PG and Ph.D. courses in Veterinary and Animal Science, Basic Sciences and Livestock Product Technology.
it also offers diploma courses in Animal Reproduction, Animal Husbandry, Veterinary Biological Products, Poultry Husbandry, Medicine and Surgery, and Meat Products Technology.
Punjab Agricultural University
It was established in the year 1962 in Ludhiana, Punjab. It has 4 colleges and is spread over in 1510 Acres.
It offers four UG courses, twenty-nine Ph.D. courses, and 43 PG courses. It mainly provides research and development in areas of Agriculture, Agricultural Engineering and Home Science.
TOP JOBS IN AGRICULTURE
- Agricultural Operations Manager
- Animal Geneticist
- Agricultural Engineer
- Agricultural Economist
- Environmental Engineer
- Agricultural Lawyer
- Bioinformatics Scientist
- Agronomy Sales Manager
- Food Scientist